Empty books: Understanding the form of booksLearning language of books through making, handling, looking at them.
Learning through making books?
Making books, designing books, understanding books;
what do books express?
Looking at books:
How do they relate each other?
Situating books in a space – what happens here?
Do they show anything? (Expression)
How they act?
How are they read?
Do they tell anything? (Expression)
· James Langdon, Book, 2010
· Simon Starling, The models in white, 1995–2009
· Richard Sennett, The Craftsman, 2008
· ‘The most beautiful and perfect book in the world is a book with only blank pages...’ Ulises Carrion, The new art
of making books, 1975
· ‘The artist should never contemplate making a work of art that is about something; a successful work of art can
only ever be about nothing. The artist’s complete negation of intent thus creating a reflective surface into which
the critic, curator or collector can gaze and see only himself.’ Sol LeWitt, Paragraphs on Conceptual Art, 1967